Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Löw-döwn on Löwenbräu


If you are – let's say – 35 or older, you should remember this catchy jingle:

Here's to good friends,
Tonight is kind of special.
The beer we'll pour
must say something more, somehow.
So tonight (tonight),
Tonight,
Let it be Löwenbräu (let it be Löwenbräu).
It's been so long.
Hey, I'm glad to see ya.
Raise your glass.
Here's to health and happiness.
So tonight (tonight),
Let it be all the best.


Yesterday, I went old school and bought myself a case of Löwenbräu beer. I'm a big fan of the classic Munich Helles Lager style beer (yes, I also like Peroni and Rolling Rock and yes, beer will always take second to a nice glass of red wine), so my beer distributor suggested I try a case...while it's around, that is.

I found out some interesting stuff during my visit to the Beer Yard. While what is currently sold is the true Munich-brewed version, the stuff that was popular back in the 70s/80’s was actually a Miller Brewing Company produced version that contained a good amount of filler, which diluted the malty characteristics of the Munich-brewed version (a practice commonly done by the big adjunct/mass produced beers such as Bud, Miller and Coors). Miller stopped making it in 2002 and Munich started to import the real stuff, (their label says Löwenbräu Original). Unfortunately, they got caught up in the Anheuser–Busch InBev merger, and sadly it will no longer be imported into the States. Whatever’s on the shelves now is what’s left.

Here's some other interesting information (according to wikipedia):
- Löwenbräu has a long history dating back to 1383 when it was first brewed at "Zum Löwen" ("The Lion's Inn") by an innkeeper.

- Löwenbräu has been served at every Oktoberfest in Munich since 1810 and is one of only six breweries permitted to serve beer at the festival.

- During Oktoberfest, Löwenbräu brews a special beer called "Wiesenbier" (literally "meadow beer", refers to the Bavarian name of the Oktoberfest, the "Wiesn"), a fresh, light amber lager.

So long, good friend...it was nice knowing you.

1 comment:

Carl Bussler said...

Why do I always discover these things when it's too late! Here's a beer I had last night while on a business trip in New York City: Leviathan Ale by Stone Brewery. One of the best beers I've had in many months. http://www.stonebrew.com/levitation/
Thanks for sharing Dom!