Monday, January 12, 2009

Comfort Foods Part 1: Macaroni and Cheese

I don't remember eating Kraft macaroni and cheese when I was little. The first time I do remember eating it, I wasn't that impressed. So when my wife said, "Hey, we gotta try my mom's macaroni and cheese recipe," I thought "Really? Well...ok, I guess." Let me tell you something...home made mac & cheese is now one of my favorite comfort dishes. It is simple to make, filling and quite tasty. Our daughter, Julianna (who I believe OD'd on the Kraft stuff about 15 months ago), insists on only home made! The kid's turned in to a connoisseur at age 4...it brings a tear to my eye. If you have little ones at home, this is a recipe that they're sure to love. If you want to get creative with it, try mixing in peas or tuna, top with some hot sauce, or serve with some stewed tomatoes.

*Note - we use American Cheese. Feel free to get creative and use your cheese(s) of choice!


INGREDIENTS
1 lb. elbow macaroni
1/2 lb. American Cheese
3 cups milk
1 stick butter (slightly softened)
1 tblspn flour
salt & pepper

PREPARATION
Boil macaroni.

Melt butter in pan. Pour 3 cups of milk in pan & stir until warm. Add flour and salt & pepper. Stir

Break up cheese in small pieces, add to sauce. Stir over low heat until melted (no lumps).

Drain macaroni and pour in flat pan. Pour cheese over macaroni, covering all.

Cover with tin foil, bake at 325˚ for 30 minutes.



Next post - Comfort Foods Part 2: Soups

2 comments:

Leanne said...

Hey, Mr. Dominic! Daria should have told you how we always had this baked macaroni Christmas Eve (with fish sticks because no one ate the fishes Grandma made!) We used to put bread crumbs on top. I make this too every year, but this year, I decided to experiment. In addition to the WHITE American (and, oh yes, there is a difference ;) ) I added a half amount of Muenster. Extra flavor! It was great. The second time I tried it (for Christmas Eve at Erik's family's house) I added pepperoni & ground beef & OH MY GOD! It brought it to a whole new level! Easy & got rave compliments!

Lisa I. said...

I'm not sure if my last comment posted?? Anyway, I added a can of stewed tomatoes, cut up small and used cooper sharp cheese. I did add crushed red pepper flakes along w/the black pep. and salt. I'll let ya know...